Saturday, April 23, 2011

Wisdom of a Hawaiian Grocery Bagger

When we arrived in Hawaii last Friday, our first stop was probably the most exciting part of the island: Costco.

I mean, for real, not only do they have food samples, but they have Hawaiian food samples. Like, for instance, pineapple-flavored shave ice, and some other weird fish noodly thing that I realized afterward that I probably shouldn't have tried but did anyway. I couldn't resist; it was free.

They also have way cooler merchandise. In Washington, we have rain boots and wet suits, but in Hawaii, they have surf boards and snorkel gear. I kind of wanted to buy one just for the sake of buying a surf board. Good thing it would have been too hard to transport on the plane, because they were way over my price range.

Finally, we made it to the checkout line with our week's worth of groceries. Our grocery bagger who we'll call Thomas (okay, so technically I probably can't call him a bagger since at Costco they don't use bags, but for the story's sake, he's a bagger) was a Hawaiian guy in his mid-twenties with long hair and tattoos on his arms. He was doing an expert job of packing our groceries in the cart. He carefully stacked the lettuce next to the crackers, under the plums so that everything fit like a puzzle. I was so impressed that I said, "You're such a good packer!"

He was quiet for awhile and continued working as his mouth sort of curled into a half-smile. I thought he was ignoring me, and frankly, I couldn't blame him. I probably would have ignored me too. Then he quietly said, "You learn to see the world in a different way."

Dude, that was deep.

Well, Thomas, I better start seeing the world in a very different way very quickly, because seeing how I leave for Jerusalem in just two days, I have a lot of packing to do this weekend.


And yes, we're such pathetic tourists that we take pictures of grocery shopping. Check out that packing job though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Total Pageviews