Saturday, May 7, 2011

Shalom From Jerusalem

Greetings from the Holy Land. Contrary to popular belief I have not dropped off the face of the earth; I have just moved to the other side of it. Just a little over one week ago, I arrived in Israel which will be my home for the next four months. I’m studying at the BYU Jerusalem Center which is set on Mt. Scopus (just across from the Mount of Olives) in the city of Jerusalem.
            The only word that can describe my experience here so far is INCREDIBLE. Everything from the architecture, food, classes, people, home, sites, to simply the feeling here. This city is truly magical in every sense of the word. There is a certain feel to Jerusalem that is different than anywhere else I’ve ever been. It’s as though there is something in the air that’s trying to tell me about all the history that’s happened here, and it is begging me to find it. And find it, I will.
            I basically live in a palace constructed of marble and limestone that is surrounded by gorgeous rose gardens and olive trees. My room has a balcony (in fact, that’s where I’m sitting right now) that looks over the old city of Jerusalem, including that gold-topped church looking thing called the Dome of the Rock. I’m taking 15 credits worth of classes such as Old and New Testament, Judaism, Palestine, Hebrew and Ancient Near East studies. The coursework is rigorous and the schedule is demanding, but the professors are brilliant and I’m learning more than ever before. Because of this schedule and limited internet use, I’m not sure how much or often I’ll be able to post, and I may do many posts at once, but I hope to share my adventures so that some of you can take this journey with me.
         I constantly catch myself staring out the huge windows at the city below asking myself if I’m actually here. It’s really humbling and I hope to never forget what a blessing it is for me to be here. I know I don’t deserve it, but I only hope I don’t waste it.
That cool building next to my head with all the arches is where I live. Notice my scrub pants. Yeah, I'm stylin'.

            This is just a cool overlook of Gibeah on our first little field trip.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you get to have this experience. I definitely will follow your wonderful posts!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Total Pageviews